Wednesday, January 26, 2011

BOOK REVIEW: Paranormalcy by Kiersten White

Ok, so this is my first ever book review ;)  Forgive me if it's lame.

NO SPOILERS INCLUDED


~Paranormalcy- Kiersten White~

"Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours.
But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures.
So much for normal. "



Pitch: You vote for yourself, of course, but I thought it was pretty awesome ;) Especially the last line.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Plot: Fantastic =) There are some books where they just don't live up to the pitch. This was most definitely not one of them.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Pacing: A-maz-ing. Kiersten kept it rolling from the start, and it never slowed down- I don't mean this as in she never gave the reader a break, but she didn't have any of those dragging places that seem to last forever and ever.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Characters: My first reaction was "What. The. Hell. Did. She. Do. To. Their. Names?" Between having Lend-me-your-face Lend and Reth and Lish, I was ready to shoot myself. But their personalities won out in the end, and I can't say there was a character I didnt love by the end. So, despite the fact that Kiersten can't name characters to save her life, they rocked.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Originality: It was very refreshing. There were some places where she fell into the easy way out, but all things considered I don't think I could've done any better. And who am I to judge, besides the reviewer? So yeah, pretty good =)
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Cover: YES!!!!! It's hard to tell from the picture, but in the real cover the words shimmer. It was pretty neat. And the cover is actually relevant, so...
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Setting: Meh. She did ok. For a part of the book they were in Virginia and I was like HECK YEAH, THAT'S MY STATE PEEPS. And she didn't mention the sceneary at all. I was sooooooo disapointed. And she only mentioned the center's looks in passing. Though the places she set things were cool, so...
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Writing Style: OH YEAH!!! She has a fantastic writing style =) There were some books I've read where the writing just wasn't there; one of the suckish things about being a writer is when book series you love become (pardon) crappy because you actually disect the writing itself and realize they have no actual writing skill at all, just a wonderful storyline. But Kiersten kept it interesting, and I actually found a few places where it hurt laughing.
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼


Overall sunshiny rating:  ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Is it worth the read: Most definitely =) I LOVED this book, and I couldn't put it down. You know, minus when I found something that looked like a dead spider crushed in the quarner of one of the pages. But I think I might buy a spider-less copy for my permanant collection.
Anyways, it's definitely worth the time!!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment